Few U.S. cities are as hot in the summer as Phoenix. We have to actively work looking fresh without being burned to a crisp or smelling like a horse. If your personal care products stand up to the summer heat in the Valley of the Sun, you know they’ll work anywhere and these natural products for insane summer heat make the grade.
The products on this list do what they say they’re going to do over a reasonable amount of time, are nice and, in some cases, enjoyable to use in terms of smell, texture, and application, and are non-toxic and mostly organic – something I’d put on my kid, which is my ultimate benchmark.
Disclosure: A few of the hyperlinked products here that I use and recommend (and link to for your convenience) contain affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase after clicking on them, I will receive a small commission (for my convenience). Feel free to buy from the suggested vendors or from anywhere else you frequent or find value.
Natural Products for Insane Summer Heat:
- Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator: A light spray of this sweet and subtly-scented spray lowers the surface tension of your skin so that your products absorb better and hydrate your skin. I use it for that, but when “it’s a dry heat,” walking from an air-conditioned building to the outside in the summer literally feels like you walked into an oven, and your skin begins to contract like shrink wrap. Usually, in the car on my drive home, I spritz this on my and my daughter’s face – the skin relaxes, and we feel refreshed. “Again, again.”
- Josh Rosebrook Nutrient Day Cream with SPF 30: I’m obsessive about SPF, as you’re soon to find out, both to prevent sun damage, but also (and more importantly) to prevent skin cancer. For those of us with Irish or Irish-ish skin, daily SPF should be a given. This day cream is rich with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that nourish, heal, and protect your skin. It protects you from UVA and UVB rays with non-nano physical blockers while it’s making you extra beautiful and glowy. It works great under makeup or alone (there’s also a tinted version). Try this and Josh’s sublime Vital Balm Cream ($115 total value) now through July 20 with a $38/month Beauty Heroes subscription.
- Thinksport Kid’s Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+: When my daughter was born, I bought every sunscreen I heard good things about and tried them all. There are many good ones, but Thinksport is my favorite because it’s completely non-toxic, high SPF, has a soft citrus/vanilla smell, and it rubs right in without leaving a white cast. As a rule of thumb, look for sunscreens made for babies and kids because they’re generally safer than the non-baby versions, even in naturals.
- Mineral Fusion Brush-On Sun Defense with SPF 30: After the burkini, this is one of the better inventions in sun protection. Brush on this invisible mineral SPF whenever, wherever, with no-dry time or greasiness. I keep brushes in my car, purse, and travel bags and apply about every 30 minutes when we go to amusement parks (white-girl kryptonite). I put it on while I’m driving and I feel the sun on my hands or left side of my face. It’s good on your hairline if you’ve parted your hair and will be outside. It won’t mess up your makeup. It works perfectly on men and children who would otherwise eschew blockers. Apply generously for good coverage.
- Meow Meow Tweet Lavender Bergamot Deodorant Stick: For me, this has been the most effective nat-deo. It lasts all day, the scent of the stick is fresh, and it won’t let you stink. Like most natural deodorants, it doesn’t make you stop sweating (conventional antiperspirants block your pores with toxic nasty chemicals and heavy metals to stop the sweat), but your body adjusts over time. Ingredients like clays can absorb perspiration. You may be sensitive to the pH of the baking soda so for some, the next option works well…
- Schmidt’s Rose + Vanilla Deodorant Stick: This stick smells great – it’s not your grandmother’s rose smell. Schmidt’s says it’s “Luxurious, elegant, and inviting.” I invite you to my armpits. If you’re still sensitive, their Geranium Flower Sensitive Skin Deodorant is baking soda-free and works well, though you might need to reapply at the end of the day (warning: don’t buy it if you don’t like the smell of geranium. I quite enjoy it).
- Coola Suncare Environmental Repair Plus Radical Recovery After-Sun Lotion: My go-to burn remover. This stuff is magic. No matter how much you love SPF and how diligent you are, sometimes the sun reigns triumphant. This is the solution. It takes cringe-worthy burns to not-so-bad in a matter of days and removes light burns overnight using aloe, lavender, and other organic ingredients.
- Leahlani Mahana Perfume Oil: Leahlani has a beautiful line of skincare and perfumes and everything smells (and also tastes) deliciously tropical. You know your skincare is good when you want to taste it. Leahlani touts that “Mahana is pure warmth, liquid sunshine.” It’s warmly vanilla and coconut, but smells nothing like the over-played perfume store version girls douse themselves in when they go to the gym. It smells like a warm day on a Beach in Hawaii as the afternoon rains roll in, and you’ll go there in your mind every time you wear it, even in the throes of the infernal desert heat.
- YUNI Beauty Shower Sheets: So you’ve been at a music festival all day long in triple-digit weather, you’re veiled by a thin layer of dirt and calcified sweat, and you smell like hell, but everyone wants to go for tacos. Priorities, right? In come the shower sheets. The 100% natural scent is fresh and clean, good for guys and gals alike, and the sheets are plant-based, biodegradable, and compostable. Give yourself a good old-fashioned wipe-down, a spritz of Hydrating Accelerator, and a swipe of Mahana, and you’ll be ready to rally.
For more information on great natural suncreens visit the Environmental Working Group (a consumer advocacy group and the gold standard in health hazard ratings) and their EWG’s 2017 Guide to Sunscreens, and check out the lovely and wise Kristen Arnett’s Green Beauty Team best-of sunscreen recommendations. More great recommendations coming soon in the Pura Vida Sometimes Shop.
¡Anden en la sombrita, amigos!